Extrajudicial Settlement of Estate: Basic Discussion

When a person dies intestate (which means he left no will) the competent court shall appoint a qualified administrator for the estate. The same rule applies even if the person dies testate (which means that he left a will) if the will failed to name an executor in his will, or if the named executor is incompetent, or refuses the trust, or fails to furnish the bond required by the Rules of Court. One exception to this is the extrajudicial settlement of estate.

We have a previous discussion on wills and probate of wills (see Basic Concepts in Estate Proceedings and Basic Discussion on Last Will and Testament). A will must be presented in court, through probate proceedings, and this judicial process may take some time. A much faster way of disposing of properties left behind by the deceased person, known as the decedent, is through an extrajudicial settlement of estate.

An extrajudicial settlement of estate, however, presupposes that the decedent left no will. We already noted that a person who has custody of a will is under obligation to produce it.

Here are the requirements for a valid extrajudicial settlement of estate:

1. The decedent left no will.
2. The decedent left no debts, or if there were debts left, all had been paid.
3. The heirs are all of age, or if they are minors, the latter are represented by their judicial guardian or legal representatives.
4. The partition was made by means of a public instrument or affidavit duly filed with the Register of Deeds.

The affidavit must be executed by the heirs and must contain the necessary allegations to support a valid extrajudicial settlement of estate. The affidavit shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation, once a week for three (3) consecutive weeks.

7 Comments Added

Add your message
  1. gigipasia June 9, 2009 |

    im 41 and an only child,my parents were having a one property which happened to sold it temporarily to one of our neightbors here the title is on the hands of our neighbor ,until they can paid back the principal amount of 130,000 pesos and an interest of 6 percent per month,i dnt know wat to do about it,please help,suggestions from ur side is really a big help,the property consist of renting houses and sari-sari stores,we own one sari-sari store but my parents managed it and they dnt want me to erfer with their properties up to now.they r old enough to handle those kind of business but they r so “pasaway” they r 70 and 75 years old now…i cnt do anything about it taking all this things they have done,still they dnt let me handle their business and left me with nothing ..thank you..

  2. det July 18, 2009 |

    my grandfather died. he left no will, some of his properties are mortgaged to secure his loans. these loans are unpaid. his estate is now being settled. my grandmother and father executed an extrajudicial settlement, as the only heirs. i was advised they can do this because the mortgage annotations on the title of the mortgage properties can be carried over on the transfer of titles after the estate has been settled. is this correct? thank you

  3. foxnight August 17, 2009 |

    Good day,

    I’m buying a portion of lot from my grandmother’s residential lot. She is already been widowed for almost 25 years now. I’ve been ask by the register of deeds to submit an “Extrajudicial settlement”

    The Lot was just newly fully paid from GSIS this year. Does my grandmother have the right to sell a portion of her estates without the extrajudicial settlement? According to the law she has 50% ownership of the said lot. Does she?

  4. antok1015 December 3, 2009 |

    Hi po,

    Gusto ko lang pong iconsult yung problem namen sa lupain na naiwan ng lolo ko. Bali ganito po ang sitwasyon.

    Ang lolo ko pong namatay ay meron naiwang mga 6 na pintong apartment.Yung anim na anak ay meron kanya-kanyang pinto or share doon sa 6 na pintong apartment. Yung dalawa po sa anim na magkakapatid ay patay na(Kasama po sa patay ang tatay since 2005 pa po siya wala). About 1-2 years ago, mga 90 years old na yung lola ko noon, nagexecute po ng extra-judicial settlement of state ang bayaw ng tatay ko. Ginawa nya po ito ay para just in case mawala na yung lola namen or hindi na makagawa ng last will ang lola ko ay meron na kanya-kanyang parte ng bahay/apartment yung mga maiiwan nya. yung extra-judicial ay pirmahan ng mga magkakapatid. Yung sa part po namen,Bali ang nanay ko ang nakapirma at kameng 5 magkakapatid.Ito po ang mga tanong ko.

    1. AS per sa tiyuhin(bayaw ng tatay ko) ay wala pa rin daw karapatan ang ni isa sa aming pamilya sa partihan kase patay na ang tatay ko.

    2. Napalathala na po namen ang extra-judicial sa dyaryo ng 3 beses, maari na po ba nameng gamitin itong extra-judicical document and yung certificate sa kumpanya ng dyaryo na kung saan nailathala ng 3 beses ang extra-judicial docs para sa pagkuha ng titulo ng lupa para sa apartment namen(as per sa tiyahin ko na kapatid ng tatay ko ay nawawala daw ang original titulo ng lupa).

    3. Anu-ano pa po ba ang kailagang gawin o isumite para magkaroon ng titulo or right kame para mapatayuan namen ng building para sa aming 5 magakakapatid

    Maramin pong salamat

  5. tigger612 December 28, 2009 |


    Gusto ko rin pong mag-consult kung ano yung dapat kong gawin sa properties ng mama ko sa Philippines. My mom is no longer a Filipino citizen and she married a foreigner. Me and my siblings want my mom to sign a document that I will be the sole heir to her properties. I want to know what kind of document do we need to make and is my step-father has a right to my mom’s properties in the Philippines? May i have a sample document?

    Please help me.


  6. legalese October 2, 2010 |

    Hi..im new here.

    I have this question to anybody who cares to answer.

    Can the heirs of a certain parcel of land execute an extra-judicial partition of the land even while their widowed mother (future “decedent”) is still alive? If so, will they give their mother a share in the partition – considering that she’s still alive?


  7. gelay December 6, 2010 |


    Kailangan ko lang po ng konting kaalaman patungkol sa extra judicial setttlement. 2 years ago bumili ako ng small portion ng lot, since hiwalay ako sa asawa ko (not yet annulled) pinangalan ko po sa parents ko ang lupa. after 2 years term of payment fully paid ko na ang lupa.. pero namatay ang tatay ko almost 2 years na din.

    2 weeks ago ng kunin ko ang deed of absolute sale ng lupa, para pirmahan ng nanay ko(for notarize), nakasulat pa doon ang name ng tatay ko. sabi ko sa costumer care nila dapat wala na ang name ng father ko kase patay na sya..but before that pinaalam namin sa developer’s costumer care agent na deceased na nga si tatay…

    ngayon need ko pa daw magpagawa ng extra judicial settlement at need ko din ipublish ang obituary ng father ko kahit pa almost 2 years ng namatay..

    1.Kailangan pa ba talaga ipublish kahit may death certificate na galing NSO?

    2. Paano ang gagawin ko at saan ko pwede i-process ang extra Judicial settlement?

    3. Mga magkano kaya ang magagastos ko para sa lahat?

    Please help.. and thank you so much for your time.

Leave a Reply